Wednesday 18 April 2007

Side effects of eating?

Thank you Mrs for your comments. Yes, my eyes are clearing up nicely now that I'm off the packs. They just look slightly bruised now, and to be honest, it just looks as though I'm wearing a light brown eye-shadow. The red, dry itchy patches under my chin are taking longer to heal but as each day goes by it gets better. So all to the good.

Wouldn't you believe it, I think I've found a side effect to eating!!!. I woke up about 4.00am with a really awful indigestion type pain at the top of my stomach. I couldn't get back to sleep so got up to hunt for some antacids. Couldn't find them in the bathroom so thought they may have been in my bedside table drawer. So, rather than wake dear hubbie, I went searching with a torch - I'm sure he'd have nudged me awake if it was him looking, but there you go. Anyway, didn't find any so got up and made a peppermint tea and sat down in front of the telly (dozing). Went back to bed about 6.00am when John got up and he gave me a prescription drug the GP had given him for reflux. I didn't want to take it but I was desperate to get rid of the pain. It helped, but not much and I've had a rather uncomfortable day at work.

The pain in the middle of the night felt just like the pain after my hysterectomy when I had an obstructed bowel. But then I was on morphine to help - what I would have done for an intravenous drip last night! At that time I was on a drip for about 10 days, didn't eat a thing in that time and lost a stone. Great, but not the best way to lose weight.

It wasn't something I'd eaten as John and I had the same last night, so I think it's my digestive system reacting to the invasion of solid food after only having to cope with liquids for the last 7 or 8 weeks. So, be warned. Follow the maintenance plan to the letter.

I've been to the pharmacy and stocked up with antacids - so indigestion beware!

6 comments:

Lesley said...

Blimey - another trial for you!! I feel like a total fraud compared to you as the worst I've had to cope with is a nasty cold when I started (nothing to do with LL) a couple of headaches and very odd poo!! - Sorry to be crude!!!

Hope you are right and no more nasty night time tummy pain is felt.

Too right about the men would wake you - I'm obviously nastier than you though as I make a point of waking D now just so he knows what it's like - makes no difference as he's straight back to sleep but makes me feel momentarily happier...

Melanie said...

I agree with lesley, I'd just bang about to wake Nigel simply because that's what he'd do without even thinking about it. Stuff wandering round with a torch, put the light on!

Again, it seems you're really having to face every possible bad side affect/symptom of dieting. Acid is terrible to live with, I remember before I had my gallbladder removed, I'd get such terrible acid and the bile was horrendous, so lots of hugs and sympathy. I was pregnant at the time so limited with medication I could take so was gulping gaviscon by the bottle.

Hope you feel better soon, if not I'd certainly go to the Docs, make sure it's nothing other than eating solid foods again.

Take care....

Mel x

Unknown said...

Hya, just a quick comment, my hubby suffers with reflux occasionally and mentioned to the Doctor that I had been giving him Peppermint tea, Apparently this is the worse kind of tea for stomach problems, it aggrivates the condition. Now if he suffers (which is rare now due to his meds) he has green tea xx

Mrs said...

Poor you. You are being tested, to the limit! I really admire the way you are dealing with all these challenges.

I remember having bad indigestion/acid problems when I first started LL (as did someone else in our group) so know what a huge discomfort it is.

Just wanted to encourage you onwards. You are doing so well!

xxxxx

bkirsty5 said...

Just read through your blogs. Isnt is a shame that you have to come of the packs due to an allergy. You have done really well though considering everything that has been thrown at you.
You should be proud (I am sure you are). :-)

. said...

Oh Chris you're really not having much luck - can't survive on the packs and now struggling with food (((hugs))) I don't have any magic cures for indigestion so am glad to hear that you've stocked up with stuff.

You should have accidentally shone the torch in Johns face - 'oops honey, sorry didn't mean to wake you ... do you know where...' - that way you can still hold the fact that as a man he'd have just woken you against him :)

Cath
x