Friday 20 April 2007

Oh, the support....

Everyone is so supportive. It's fantastic. Thanks for everyone's comments on my brush with indigestion. You all made me laugh. And hello to Amethyist and Kirsty. I'm not really a hypochondriac - but you may be forgiven for thinking I am. Thank you for the advice about the peppermint tea, Amethyist. I didn't know that drinking the tea would aggravate the condition; peppermint has always been a well-known remedy for heartburn and indigestion, hasn't it. I'm happy to report that I took one Pepcid 2 tablet and the pain went completely within about 20 mins - so definitely one for your medecine cabinets. And I haven't had any trouble since. As I thought it was probably just my body getting used to solid food again.

You lot are wicked. Fancy encouraging me to wake John when he was soundly asleep. How could you!

I wasn't at work today and what with everyone talking about the new clothes they'd been buying I thought I'd take a trip to Matalan (not wanting to buy anything expensive as yet) but couldn't find anything I liked - either too casual, and I have plenty of casual for now, or too officey, and I wear a I uniform for work so no use to me. So onto Tesco. I tried on 2 dresses, size 16 - didn't fit. I was disappointed until I told myself that they were only £15 so I should expect them to be skimped. But it didn't help my self-esteem too much. I know! 2 months ago I was looking at 18/20s so I should be happy, but it just seemed to emphasise the problem I have with clothes shopping. I hate it!

I've had problems today with Elizabeth. She's been on at me for weeks about having her hair layered. It was blunt cut to about 3 or 4 inches below her shoulders and was fine as she was able to tie it back for school and karate. I didn't think a 12yr old would be able to cope with layers so I've been trying to hold out but she wore me down. I made the apointment with my hairdresser but asked to cut it so that E could still put it up. So she had it cut and blow-dried yesterday, was really happy with it and came home from school to say that her frinds liked it and even her geography teacher had commented and said how good her hair looked. All fine you would think. NO! She decided to put it in a ponytail and bring forward a thin section which would hang down the side of her face. Any of you with a teenage daughter will probably know what I mean. On doing so she found a few stray strands that were a little longer than the rest of the part brought forward. She got the kitchen scissors and said she wanted to cut them. I told her to leave it and to let me see, but what does Mummy know? She wanted to do it herself and wouldn't let me anywhere near. The next thing I know she came out to the kitchen to show me what she'd done. She'd blunt cut about a 1inch wide strand of hair to the top of her cheek! So there we are with a newly layered style, graduated around the face, with a 'step' up the side. I went mad! Screamed at her, called her 'a stupid child', I'm afraid to say, and told her to get out of my sight. Maybe a little over the top, but if I'm honest, I could have hit her - and that's not something I do. She's grounded now, no youth club this evening and no Disney Channel (until I say so....this could go on for some time). I was shaking with anger and I was upset; her hair looked so good and now I'll have to take her back to have it 'repaired'.

What I was really upset about was that this is the second time she has taken the scissors to her hair. When she was 10 she decided that her fringe was too long and thought she would cut it. She stopped when she was within 1cm of her hairline. It took months and months to grow out. She knew how angry I was and promised never to do anything like it again. Oh, yeah!

The joys of parenthood, Lesley!

5 comments:

. said...

Good to know the indigestion meds are working - least John can sleep safe in the knowledge that he'll get a proper night sleep .... unless one of us lot calls around :)

Re E's hair - can't blame you for shouting, I'd have done the same --- you get them to an age where you'd think they'd know better ... and do they? No. Good thing is that it is only hair and it will grow back ... and hopefully this time she will have learned not to do it again.

.... and also by the sounds of it we all now know not to visit E instead of the hairdresser.

Keep smiling honey.

Cath
x

Lesley said...

Yikes - that sounds seriously scary. I think I'll stick with the dog - can't see her getting the scissors out (no opposable thumbs see...)!!

Only joking - I need more stress in my life, it's all running to plan at the moment so maybe a bit of child-sponsored angst could be what I'm after??? (Tempting fate or what?)

You sound chirpy despite the disaster Chris, which is good to hear and the clothes thing will come. It goes in stages so you'll suddenly see a big change. Patience.

Keep it up. When's your next weigh day?

Lesley x

Unknown said...

Ah memories, the time my girlie aged 16 waltzed in with bright pink hair - Oh I said how beautiful, it suits you soooo much, as I very tightly nearly broke my husbands hand to keep him quiet!! yes it did not have the response she wanted so died it another more acceptable colour as Teenagers -RAF - best think ever :-)

Mrs said...

Hi Chris

Just think, you will laugh with Elizabeth, in years to come, about her hair cutting challenges!

Forget the shopping until you are ready.

Just keep focusing on your successes.

Mrs L xxx

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

The joys of parenthood!

I'm lucky really, Jacob is currently at that lovely pre-school age when they want to help, want to be like big kids, and extremely curious and asking a million questions a day.

He walked up to the deli-counter in ASDA earlier and asked the lady for some 'Billy Bear ham please'. She took a slice out the chiller and handed it to him to munch as he walked around the store. He melts me sometimes. I'm certainly making the most of it though, cause I'm wise to the fact that it most certainly will not last forever.

I would certainly go crackers at him if he'd cut his hair, I know being a lad it's not as likely, but even so, you were right to be annoyed that she did it, especially after you'd taken her for a proper haircut which looked so nice.

I could never understand my parents going doo-lally at me for having my belly-button pierced when I was 14, marching me up to the shop to have it taken back out. I'd been told days before I was not to have it done, but did it anyway, I thought I was big, clever and knew best. I guess as kids we can't see or won't see our parents way of thinking. Not until the shoe is on the other foot.

Glad the indigestion has past! I guess we are a cruel bunch, telling you to wake John up....lol

I meant to ask, are you weighing yourself now or do you still go to a class?

Take care, hide the scissors and have a good weekend.

Mel xx