Monday 16 April 2007

John's birthday today

Elizabeth doesn't go back to school until tomorrow and it's John's birthday today so I decided to take them out for lunch - treat on me! We were going to drive out to the forest, park the car and walk throught the woods to the pub/restaurant but, all best laid plans and all that, we ended up driving direct to the pub. It's been some time since we've been there and it's changed hands. Much posher, with prices to match. You can always tell a place is going to be expensive just from the loos, can't you - you know, fancy sanitary ware and posh soap dipensers. But we had a lovely meal together and I even managed to low carb - didn't even have a taster of E's Chocolate Dirt Pie (mud pie to the rest of us) and drank fizzy water and black coffee. So good on me!

The music in the restaurant was really nice and laid back as well. I said to John it sounded as though they'd got hold of my ipod as most of the tracks they had on were on mine, or soon will be as I took a note of a few to download (sad, or what?)

After lunch we drove to the Hainault Country Park and had a nice wander around the children's farm and down to the lake. It was a beautiful day again and a real change for us to have an outing like this. We should do more of it.

The day didn't start off too well. I stood by my pledge not to weigh myself over the week so it was onto the scales directly I got up this morning (saying a little prayer that I wouldn't have gained as I've been totally off the packs since last Wednesday). Well, I didn't gain, but I've only lost 3/4lb and feel rather miffed that although I've keept to low-carbing, not cheated at all, carried on drinking the water, the loss is so low. I did a wee test which shows that I'm still in ketosis and that I'm doing much better on the dehydration front. The only thing I can think of is that because I haven't eaten anything solid whilst on LighterLife or Cambridge my body is just adjusting to the foods I'm now having. As the test shows that I'm still in ketosis, I'm hoping that next week things will even out and a loss will show. Anyone who has any experience of this, please advise......

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Chris - sounds like you've had a nice time and Happy Birthday John!

My LLC says that once you go back onto solid food your body replaces the glycogen you've lost (not sure if being in ketosis makes any difference but that could well be it). Keep the faith for another few days and if no luck you may have to make adjustments - it's going to be a learning process isn't it?

Uploading photos isn't a different process but it looks different while you're doing it which is a bit disconcerting. Jut means you don't see the piccies until your blog is actually posted unlike before.

Keep it up Christine - I have every faith in you.

Lesley x

chrismars said...

Thanks Lesley. I wondered if it could be the glycogen being replaced, but not sure if still being in ketosis this would happen. I am right in thinking that if the ketostix changes colour (and I was at the 3rd colour up the scale) then you are in ketosis - Yes?

I'm in a peculiar position regarding the diet now. Neither one thing or another re LL or CD and am not really following the strict management route. I'm just being really strict with myself on the low-carbing front. Oh, it's all so confusing.

Thanks for the faith you have in me. It helps!

Chris x

. said...

Happy Birthday John.

Sounds like a lovely place you went to Chris, and well done for eating within your diet ... and avoiding the choc cake. Sounds like you all had a really nice day.

I do think that it might be your body adjusting to solids - but I'm no expert on coming off a vlcd. Good to hear that you are still in ketosis though, that shows that what you are doing is working.

Cath
x