Thursday 26 April 2007

Haven't been on for 3 days!!!

I haven't been able to get on for 3 days as the other 2 have hogged the computer when I've been around, but I haven't been in much this week. So I haven't caught up on everyone else's yet - to be remedied soon! John had a hospital visit on Monday evening to check up on his MRI scan. Everything was fine. He has a problem with the 5th vertebrae in his back and there's a piece of gristle protruding from the spinal canal. Luckily, his spinal canal is quite wide, according to the consultant, which means that he shouldn't need an operation to remove it. He must just be aware, and he's off to physio and pilates for some help. So all good there in the end. I was at a parish finance meeting on Tuesday evening (yawn!) and then last night I went out with some ex-colleagues and did we laugh! It was so good to catch up. And I was very good - char-grilled salmon and steamed veggies and 1 glass of white wine...low on carbs white wine (if you want to know for the future - much lower than red).

I'm glad you liked the diet explanation, Sam. It's not Atkins, well similar, but without all the butter, double cream and fats. I'm taking fat off meat etc. and only using a little olive or sunflower oil. And I am in ketosis. I went along to my Cambridge counsellor on Monday evening, Mel, and picked up a box of ketostix (I couldn't face being cross-examined in the chemist), so I pre-empted your comment there. I checked yesterday morning and I was still in ketosis - so it looks as though I can get away with the occasional glass of vino - but I will be cautious. I was quite into the purple and Heather my LighterLife counsellor saifd that that shows you are dehydrated. Has anyone else noticed this when testing?.....note to self: Must Drink More Water!

Cath, thanks for the offer of sending some books through. I've actually got quite a few GI diet books and the Food Doctor Plan which is more or less based on GI but I just haven't found the TIME to get into them.....along with everything else these flipping blogs take up too much time!!!!! Only joking. I don't think I'd have got this far if it hadn't been for our mutual support. I have withdrawal symptoms at the moment and will be catching up with all yours once I've published this.

I think I'll contract Mel to be my personal menu planner. She seems to have so many ideas - and they're working! Ok, Mel, a few days menus in advance suit you? - mainly breakfst ideas as I get stuck there on this self-imposed regime....lol

Claire, I read in my comments that you've gone back to food. I'll catch up on your reasons when I read yours but I wish you all the luck in the world and am here to support you if needed - I'll just send you on Mel's menus....heehee. Thanks for your admiration of my stamina but I've made a promise to myself to lose this weight and if I can't keep a promise to myself then who can I keep it for? I shall perservere as long as I can and if I reach a plateau I'll just have to accept it and restart a couple of weeks later.

I went to work today with very swollen and red eyes again. Not as bad as they were at the beginning of the month but they're very itchy. Luckily, as we're into the hayfever season customers probably thought it was just hayfever...and there's no way I could cope without copious amounts of green base and foundation. As I'm not on packs any longer and it was last Saturday that I actually ate that dratted low carb bar, I've made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow....so we shall see.

Right now to catch up on everyone else's.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Good to see you back and blogging Chris. You sound really efficient with all the recipes and meal plans etc. I've forgotten all about that sort of thing....

Yes - after finding LL, finding the support of everyone on the blogs has been the next most useful thing I've done and I'm looking forward to meeting people at some stage (haven't forgotten that!). One day when I've got a few minutes I'm going to ask people what they'd like to do and where and when they might like to meet up and try and get something into the diary.

So, keep on keeping and take care.

Lesley x

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you're well into ketosis! I have heard some chemists are a bit questioning when it comes to selling ketostix, although the ASDA pharmacist didn't even bat an eyelid when I asked for them. I think Boots are supposed to be a bit funny about selling them.

I may have already told you this but anyway....When I was pregnant with Jacob, I kept being really sick and having chest pains. It got to the point where I wasn't able to keep down fluids and everytime I was taken to hospital, they used ketostix to detect how dehydrated I was and then put me on a drip. So I'm aware that ketones present can mean dehydration, although I've had +++ of ketones for over a week now, and I wouldn't be convinced about it being because I'm dehydrated, I'm drinking at least 3-4 litres of water every day, so it has to be due to not eating carbs.

Hope the meals are going well, I've bought some lovely gammon ham to have tonight, might do it with some poached eggs and some salad. At least with the weather getting nicer, cold meat salads are even more appetising.

I do like crispy cold bacon as a snack at the moment too, plus it's easy enough to take to work and munch on at my desk.

Just been reading Lesley's note about meeting up with people, that sounds like such a fab idea, I'd love to meet up with everyone, it'd be something nice to look forward to, and a good focal point to see how far we can get by that date.

Take care,
Mel

. said...

Chris

I'm much the same as you - not been able to get on the computer either due to others or lack of time --- good to read your post and see you back though.

Not good about your eyes - have you had any tests to see what you might be allergic to?

Cath
x