Sunday 15 April 2007

It could be Summer...

What a lovely day it's been today. I've been out in the garden trying to make some sense of the wilderness out there. Well. I exaggerate with wilderness slightly, but there's quite a bit of work to be done and it's not to easy with John's back problems hence me doing the work. When he went to the hospital last week the consultant said he may need an operation. We'll find out next week when we go back for the results of his MRI scan.

So I've been in the garden most of the afternoon cutting shrubs. I like a nice garden but there's no way I'm a gardener. We've been in this house for 25 years now and early on when we did the garden we filled it with shrubs as they don't require a lot of care and mean that we don't have to weed all the time. This is true, but shrubs grow; and some of them have become a little out of hand. It's the same every Spring. I can see what needs doing but, of course, the shrubs are all coming into spring bloom and you can't cut many of them back at that time. I'm afraid I'm a fair weather gardener and don't get out there when it's cold and wet and probably the best time to do the housekeeping. They are all beginning to bloom now and the smell of the lilac will be absolutley beautiful in a week or so. The clematis is already in bloom and looks lovely winding its way through the other shrubs. The Mexican Orange Blossom will be next follwed by the hypericum. It's just a pity they've all got so big.

We were talking the other day and said we may employ a gardener, especially if John's back problem can't be sorted easily. We used to have someone in a few years back but then decided to go it alone. Maybe I'll phone round a few places during the week.

Onto diet matters: going along OK. We went to Mass yesterday evening instead of this morning so treated ourselves to a cooked breakfast at home - one of the benfits of low-carbing. Lizzie enjoyed helping, laid the table and made us sit down so that she could serve us. She's a lovely girl...at times. I can't believe that I could actually eat what I did and still be in ketosis (I hope I am). My sister came over this afternoon - she wasn't able to get any ketostix from the hospital for me yesterday, but maybe when she's in next time.

3 comments:

SoonBeSlim... It's True! said...

Hi Chris,

been away so long you've had many achievments!

Well Done on the clothes front and finding a new diet which seems to be suiting you. You have less to loose now than you have lost so I am sure you will make it.

I know what you mean about gardening. We are busy buying plants and really enjoying our time outside. However come colder days I will probably forget it!

Sam

Lesley said...

I'd so love to be one of these gardeners who loves every minute of it. I'm a bit hit and miss which means that when I do do it I'm mostly catching up and hacking back or weeding so then it's not so much fun. I'm sure if you do little and often you get to do the fun stuff more, but do I take that on board??

Hey ho - can't do everything. I'll be hacking away next weekend for sure.

Keep it up slinky!

Lesley x

. said...

Good to hear that you think you're still in ketosis Chris, and also that the low carb is working for you ... breakfast sounds lovely.

We're much the same with the shrubs here - the time when you realise they've all grown and are too big is when they're in bloom and you don't want to chop them --- have to do ours later in the summer.

Cath
x