Sunday 6 May 2007

Well, I'm trying to eat normally.....

I'm proud of myself for making the decision to keep out of ketosis for the time being and see how things go but, and it's a big BUT, food seems to be having an adverse effect on me. Over the years (and many of them) I have had trouble with my bowel and had tests done at the hospital, as I said on an earlier post. Nothing physically wrong was ever found so I just accepted that I had a problem and got on with life (as you do!). I hate to give too much info but one of the worst problems I've suffered with over the years was an 'explosive' diarrhoea, so much so that I often found it difficult to leave the house in the morning. One of the side benefits, but a very big one, of LighterLife and Cambridge was that the bowel problem cleared up - COMPLETELY. The very fact that I wasn't eating any food meant that my digestive system didn't have to cope with any 'foreign' invaders and, if it hadn't been for the problem with my eyes, then I would have found the ultimate diet and could have stayed on it FOR EVER!

Now I've started eating the digestive upsets are returning with a vengeance. I've tried to introduce foods gradually but feel I should be popping antacids rather than corn just to keep the pain away. Although I've experienced the occasional indigestion episodes, just like everyone else, now the pain is almost constant, and the exp dia is returning as well. John keeps on to me about going to the doctor about it - this isn't new; he's nagged me to go to the doctor for a couple of years or so now to be referred to a nutrionist, especially as we have private medical insurance. I only went to a relief doctor a week or so ago about my eyes and she poo-pooed (excuse the pun) the food intolerance suggestion so I'm a little loath to return. But I think I'm going to have to. I shall make an appointment to see my own GP and ask for a refferal. I really can't go on like this. You never know, the problems I seem to have with some foods may have been contributory to my weight gain (?)

Maybe, Claire, we have more in common than just a fascination for blogs and VLCDs!!!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I have to agree with John there. it doesn't sound pleasant and if you can try ad find out what is going on would be good. It's a proper Catch 22 - can't eat, can't not eat!! I hope you can get satisfaction from the medical profession - it seems to be a bit of a hit or miss affair at the moment.

I'm sitting in the Novotel in the middle of Vilnius now, connected to Wifi but with an awesome view frm the 9th floor of the old town and all the churches and red roofs. Very picturesque. About to head down and wander through the Continental Market that is currentl set up outside to celebrate accession to the EU. Was just taking a quick breather to refresh before the evening entertainment begins.

Have a good weekend and thanks for the support.

Lesley x

Unknown said...

Hi Cath, Fascinating reading your blog this last couple of days, having been away I didnt realise your "ketosis Dilemma" I sure hope your dietry and stomach problems calm down, maybe the Docs should try looking at the likes of IBs or similar as it seems awful strange that you are ok on VLCD but now your trying food it is coming back, it must be something related to you eating solids.

Good luck in your quest, I was only saying to my hubby that whwn I am done VLCD I want to try the GI thats what everyone seems to do

xx

. said...

Chris just read up on all your blogs I've missed, sorry to read that you're out of ketosis but like everyone else I think that if you're still having good losses following the diet you're on now you should stick with it.

Sorry about the bowel problem coming back, I agree with John that you should go and see your doctor and while you're there I would strongly ask for an intolerance test re your eyes --- you'll feel so much better if both of these can get sorted out.

Cath
x