Friday 25 May 2007

I've seen the Consultant....

I'm just back from my visit to the Consultant this morning. I've got tears in my eyes as I type this, not for any awful reason, just from the fact that I feel down. I was Ok before I went, other than having been up for 3 hours overnight with horrible, horrible indigestion type pains. The pain woke me at about 1.30 and in the end I decided to come downstairs. An antacid and 2 pints of water later, I went back to bed at 3.45 and then laid awake for ages before dropping off. Felt like death when I had to get up for Lizzie at 7.00.

I got into to see the Consultant and really had trouble explaining my problems, maninly because the condition is chronic (the exp dia)and goes back so many years that I can't say when it started or whether there's any catalyst. The acute symptoms (the pains)that have come since stopping LighterLife and Cambridge are a lot easier to explain, but of course once I mentioned the diets, he jumped on that straight away and definitely showed his anti feelings. I'm afraid I'm rather an emotional person and when something affects me as much as this the tears well up and I find it very hard to suppress them. That's when I begin to feel really stupid and annoyed with myself. I wish I could be detached - at least whilst I'm trying to explain what's been happening to me.

Anyway, I was sent off for an x-ray of my stomach and, would you believe it, I was found to be very constipated - definitely not a diagnosis I would have given! That, apparently, would partly explain the amount of pain I've been in. So, I've come home with a couple of sachets that I have to take with water (sounds familiar!) but, in this case, I need to stay VERY close to a loo. (Acually, he was a lot more sympathetic when he saw the x-ray)

I also had loads of bloodtests and have to go back to see him for the results on the 4th June. To be continued.....

Thought I'd cheer myself up with a bit of retail therapy after I left the hospital but all to no avail. I really don't like shopping for clothes. I only tried on a pair of cropped trousers in Next but even the 16 wouldn't go round my bloated tummy. So, into Starbucks for a skinny cappuchino, and home.

John's just got in and he wants to pop to Lakeside to buy some trousers, so off to the dreaded shops again. Catch up with you all later.

LATER: back from Lakeside. John's got his trousers and I bought a crocheted white cardigan from Wallis (it's lovely), so not a totally wasted shopping trip. Lizzie was hankering after a baby hamster from the pet shop but we didn't cave in. We honestly didn't believe that she'd clean him out!!! Oh, and 3 pairs of lacy knickers. My existing ones look a little too like the ones on 'How To Look Good Naked' (the before shots!).

John and I managed to have a good talk while we were having a cup of tea and Lizzie was deciding what to buy in the petshop. He understands why I feel so upset about today at the hospital - basically, because I've put up with everything for so long. He's going to make sure he comes with me on the 4th as I can never take in what's being said to me when I'm a little 'traumatised'.

Have a good weekend everyone.

5 comments:

. said...

I'm so glad that todays visit is over with for you - I was thinking about you earlier.

Constipated - well I know that that causes horrendous pain if it gets impacted so hopefully these sachets will do the job quickly for you .... but not too quick that you don't make it to the loo!

I'd have felt emotional too - you have been through so much lately, no wonder you let it all out -- he shouldn't have jumped on the diets, that's the easy way out but I hope that now it's over with that you'll feel better --- I'm glad John is going to the next one with you as the support is well needed.

(((big hugs)))

Cath
xx

Lesley said...

Hey Chris - chin up! I know what you mean about seeing doctors when you're already feeling low, then can definitely drag you down further. I'm glad there's an immediate explanation for the acute pains anyway and I'm also glad that John's going to come with you next time. It's daft but they'll take it more seriously when there's a husband to contend with. Annoying but true.

To be honest I always get great attention from medical professionals but I know why - I always ahave a big "SOLICITOR" marked on the top of my notes. they're so afraid fo beng sued these days... Really unfair but it makes for hassle free medecine...

Good luck with the dreaded sachets and hope you have a good weekend.

(((((((gentle hug (don't want to upset that tummy!!)))))))))))

lesley x

Unknown said...

Hi Chris keep your chin up and think nice thoughts - like when you are sorted - more retail therapy calls - hugs x

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you've had a tough day of it, hope the sachets help. It's no wonder you're feeling emotionally battered.

It's lovely that John will be there to support you, we all need a hand to hold in these situations.

Chill out and have a nice relaxing weekend, easier said than done I know, but try.

(*(*(* HUGS *)*)*)

Mel x

Mrs said...

Oh Chris

I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I would be just the same - talking about medical stuff (particularly when you've been through so much) IS emotional.

And constipation is NO laughing matter; no wonder you were in so much pain. There has been much debate about it on minimins.

As Lesley says, having John there for the next appointment WILL make a difference, particularly as he is a man. But, in fact, having anyone else there will make a difference because it's easy to get overwhelmed in a situation like that. Please don't do any more medical visits alone!

I really hope you have had a relaxing weekend and have pampered yourself. You need some TLC!

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and hugs.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxxxx