Friday 4 May 2007

Decisions, decisons....

One moment I've decided to get back into ketosis because I can't wait to get the remaining stone to stone and a half off; and the next, I'm thinking, now hang on a minute, I've got the chance here to really establish the basis for a lifelong way of eating to keep slim for the future. After all, even though I'm no longer in ketosis, my appetite is still fairly suppressed and I'm leaving food on the plate after nearly every meal - not something I often did before dieting. I was alsways one to clear my plate! I just can't seem to make my mind up and stick to it.

I think you're right Claire, it is harder to eat than to abstain from food. When on Lighterlife and Cambridge I didn't need to think, all the decision-making had been taken out of my hands. But thank you to both Claire and Lesley for your words of wisdom.

Ok, I'm making a decision right here and now. It will be recorded for prosperity (well?) and I shall stand by what I write (for the next week or so anyway). I am not going to attempt to get back into ketosis for the time being. I'm taking a break to see if I can manage without (thank you, Lesley). After all, ketosis isn't a normal state to be in - and as I'm not feeling particularly hungry - just the occasional 'peckish' moments as you often get on LL - if I hadn't had the ketostix I wouldn't have known I wasn't there anyway. I shall eat low GI on a 90/10 basis. I'm saying 90/10 as on Sunday we're going over to friends for the evening and there's NO WAY Janet is going to let me get away with not being fed. She always bases her tea on salad but with absolutely everything else with it. So I can manage with that fairly well, with picking and choosing and she won't notice. The problem comes however with the dessert. Janet's a M&S junkie and will normally have 2 or 3 desserts on the table and woe-betide anyone who refuses one! I know from experience. So the 10% is a little taster to keep her happy if I can't get away with it. I know, I'm a wimp. But she frightens me!

If I don't lose over the next week or so, or, heavens above(!), gain, then it's back onto the ketone blasting regime again and I'll follow the diet in the book I told Claire about the other day. I hope I can manage without - much more like real life.

I'll say bye for now. I need to get ready to go out. It's Pat's funeral at 10.00am. I'm only going to the Mass, not the cemetery. I just want to show my support for Ted - he's in his mid-80s and looked absolutley devastated when I spoke to him at Church last Sunday. Pat and Ted had run the Gift Aid Scheme at the Church for 30 years. I've worked with them for about the last 5 and took over completely at the beginning of last year. Pat was 81and hadn't been very well for some time and I don't think I'll ever forget the look of thanks and relief on her face when I told them that I would take on the complete kit and caboodle from them. It's sad...........

3 comments:

Mrs said...

Dear Chris

Hope the funeral wasn't too sad and that people were able to celebrate Pat's life.

Well done for your decision making; at my GP practice, all the nurses swear by GI so you may find it really works for you too.

As Lesley says, keep blogging, monitor how you feel and beware of the pitfalls and hopefully you'll have the tools you need to make your regime work for you.

Good luck at this next stage.

Mrs L xxxx (www.thelardarms.tyepad.com)

Lesley said...

Condolences re Pat. I also hope that the funeral could concentrate on the joy she brought and her hard work too rather than on her sad loss.

I'm glad you're going to give normal dieting a go. You haven't got much to lose so think of it as an extended Maintenance.

Good luck and don't go nuts at Janet's!! A small dessert will be permitted but maybe some exercise to counter-balance???

Lesley x

Mrs said...

Hello Chris

Hooray you found me! Thank you for your lovely message; I really appreciated it.

This is the book that the nurses all rave about:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antony-Worrall-Thompsons-GI-Diet/dp/1856266117.

Keep in touch.

Mrs L xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx