Saturday 10 March 2007

I've been away too long!!!!

Well, its, Sat 10th March (Happy Birthday, Carmel) and this is my first post since 28th Feb. I know I've been missed (thanks, Tom).

I've had a pretty nasty bout of flu. I did say, if you remember, that I didn't feel too well on my last post. That was an under-statement to say the least. I woke up the following morning and I could hardly see the eyelashes of my right eye. The eye was so purple-red and swollen and I have to admit that vanity prevented me from going to work that morning - there was no way my normal beauty routine(?) was going to cover that up!! By the afternoon I really began to feel unwell though. And I eventually took to my bed, not to venture downstairs again for about 4 days (and then for only a couple of hours at a time). I have felt really ill and still don't feel up to much even now. I'm coughing and choking for England even as I type.

During my illness I spoke to Heather, my LighterLife counsellor, and we came to the conclusion that I may well have had a reaction to the foodpacks and was suffering from a lactose intolerance and it would probably be better if I gave up on the diet. I was devastated and really upset but agreed that I had made a very good start and had had a considerable weightloss and would carry my journey on from here, but not with LL.

I am not one to give up to easily though, so I got on the internet a couple of days ago (even though I didn't feel well enough) and did some research on lactose intolerance. I think the homemade diagnosis is correct. I remember a previous GP doing a kinesiology test on me about 12 years ago and diagnosing a lactose intolerance, so that was a start. I have had problems with my bowels for about 20 years and even though I have had tests at hospital (including the worst thing I have ever been through in my life - a colonoscopy.....awake!) no conclusions were made. It has crossed my mind about whether I was lactose intolerant and now the problems with the foodpacks seem to make sense. One of the symptoms is "black eye" and another, a drippy nose. Well, I didn't actually tell you about that one, but everyday at work (when my head is down writing) my nose kept running - and this was some time before the flu came on. I didn't really think about, but when I read it as one of the symptoms, things fell into place. There were other symptoms that I have just got used to over the years to do with the intestinal tract that appear to have got better with the packs, but then again, not all symptoms of a condition are always present in every person, are they?

Lactose intolerance, albeit an upsetting condition, is not life threatening and can be easily controlled. Basically, it means that there is not enough of the lactase enzyme in my small intestine to digest the lactose sugar in my food. I did use lactase drops in my milk for a while 12 years ago, but with a young baby to care for and a diagnosed post-natal depression to get through, I just gave up on it and drank and ate milk products as normal. And would have carried on as so if it hadn't been for recent circumstances. I have decided, therefore, to contact Heather again to see if I can restart, for a trial period at any rate, but this time I will take a lactase enzyme capsule dose before consuming any of the foodpacks. I can only try it and see!

I shall keep you informed of what happens, but if I can't continue with LighterLife, I intend keeping this blog up as my weight is going to come off, one way or another.......

4 comments:

SoonBeSlim... It's True! said...

HI,

nice to see your BLOG journey start again. I hope you are on the mend, sounds like a bad case.

Your post struck alarm bells for me as I have been lactose intolerant too. Yes I saw it on the medical, but its been so long without symtoms I did not want to be ruled out!!! I was just interested to know if you don't mind, when you started to feel ill, as its seems 3 weeks in you became really unwell.

Thanks in advance, and good luck

Sam

Lesley said...

Hey Christine - I'm so sorry to hear you've been unwell. I've popped in to check your blog a few times and it did cross my mind that that must have been the cause. Nightmare.

I hope you don't have to give up on LL but, if you do, I'm sure you'll take your determination onto losing the weight another way. Actually there is a woman who comments on my blog called Mel who is doing her own diet preparatory to starting LL and she is doing so well on it that she hasn't started LL yet. Think she's lost over 2 stone in 6 weeks which is not bad going on your own so it can be done. If you're interested, her name is Melanie and her blog is at mellie-diet@blogspot.com

Good luck chuck and keep on keeping on.

Lesley x

chrismars said...

Thanks for your comments, Sam and Lesley. I've started again today, but with the lactase caps this time, so fingers crossed xxxx. I didn't even think of there being a lactose intolerance when I completed the medical form - it was such a long time ago and my GP at the time was a bit of a weirdo (into alternative therapies etc). He got struck of in the end - and that was for supplying slimming tablets to a patient for something like 10 years without keeping a medical check on her.

I'm going to take a look at Mel's blog, Lesley. Find out how she did without LL - just in case. Thanks for the idea.

Oh, and you looked great at the rowing club 'do' - I'm jealous!!

Best wishes, Chris

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

Thank you for checking out my blogsite, Lesley is a great inspiration and it's so nice to have people to keep in touch with who you know are in the same situation, experiencing the same ups and downs, and ultimately heading for the same goal.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with LL, it's tough enough dieting, but when trying to do something to make you feel healthier, actually makes you feel ill, it must be so hard to keep motivated, but well done for being so determined.

The water is great, I've lost the taste for flavoured drinks in fact. I went out the other day and had a glass of diet coke, and for the whole afternoon my stomach felt really uncomfortable, shocking when I think I used to love the stuff.

I started my diet as preparation for Cambridge, by drinking the 3-4 litres of water daily, and I thought if I had one 1000 calorie meal a day the reduction in food would help.

I take vitamins, cod liver oil, and every few days a fruit and fibre supplement, they look like an oxo cube and taste like figs but they're my way of kidding myself I'm having fruit and fibre.

My one and only meal is usually quite hearty, something like shepherd's pie bulked out with LOADS of veggies, (I cover them in loads of black pepper too).

I think my stomach is now shrinking though, cause most days, I can't even finish it.

Having started initially to prepare for Cambridge, I've been losing so well, I decided to stick with it for now.

Spread the word about the water, it's a really good article and reinforced in my mind, the importance of drinking plenty of it.

Stick with it, and even if LL isn't suiting you, there are other ways of doing it.

We're all a great bunch of losers!

Regards,
Mel