Sunday 18 March 2007

Food shopping nightmare!

We have a routine on a Sunday; 9.00am Mass and then drive to Tesco's for breakfast and to do the weekly shop. Of course, I haven't been in to normal routine for the last couple of weeks and John has been doing the shopping in dribs and drabs on his way home from work. But, back to Tesco's this morning. I said I'd do the shopping whilst they had their breakfast, which didn't go down too well with John - he wanted me to sit with him and Lizzie for a chat. Huh! with the smell of bacon wafting around my nostrils - he must've been joking!

So off I went with the trolley. It's so weird shopping when you know you're not going to be eating any of it. Normally I don't buy much in the way of convenience foods but, honestly, I can't stand the thought of cooking every evening. I did a little before I was ill, but admittedly John has cooked mainly for him and Liz. He's not one for cooking from scratch, unless it's a bolognese or, his piece d'resistance, apple cake, so I swallowed my pride (well I'm not swallowing much else am I?) and bought a week's worth of ready meals.

I really don't like walking around the supermarket whilst on this diet. I wonder how others manage? Does everyone find it hard? I remember when I first started on Lighterlife it felt like torture, but it feels so much harder this time round. Everything does. I'm sure I'd have given up without this blog and the uplifting and inspirational comments from all my 'virtual friends' - you know who you are!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I haven't ventured into a supremarket since I've been on the diet. For the necessaries, D will go or sometimes a bloke from work but generally we shop in local shops which D doesn't mind doing 'cos it's in dribs and brabs as you say. I suppose with only shopping for one it's easier to go to the butcher, bakre and candlestick maker but if you have kid as well there's more to deal with.

Yeah, must have been hard - they're set out so enticingly and the naughty stuff is just so easy to pick up! I'd try and avoid if at all poss or get them to deliver - Tesco Online is very efficient round these parts.

You'll get thereand that's what cyber mates are for.

By the way, what are the Cambridge food packs like??

chrismars said...

Hi Lesley,
Yes it is harder when you have a family to cook for - one of the firt things Elizabeth says when she gets in from school is,'What are we having for dinner?'

I wouldn't mind but it wasn't the naughty stuff I wanted to buy in Tesco. I don't fancy any cakes or desserts or crisps or anything like that. I just wanted a good healthy dinner. But that will come - this IS just a means to an end after all. Once I see the weight coming off and the scales going down I know I'll feel a lot more positive. It's just the problems I've had, I suppose.

One thing tho', our Tesco bills are lower. And that's something to be thankful for.

I've only had 6 Cambridge packs so far. They're very similar to LL. the mushroom soup is the only Lactose free soup. I have about 6 of them and have had them for lunch the lsst 2 days. A bit boring but I have taken to putting them into a soup bowl and drinking with a proper soup spoon (very posh!) as you had at the wedding. It does actually feel you're having more lke a proper meal, doesn't it?

I've just had a chocolate mint shake. Ok, but I prefer the LL chocolate made with hot peppermint tea.

Strawberry this morning - Ok but prefer LL raspberry.

Haven't tried toffee and walnut or fruits of the forest (not sure about that one) or spicy tomato soup. Oh, and there's a cappuccino - but I that won't match up to a Starbucks....

Have a good week, Lesley,

Night, night

Christine x

. said...

Christine don't worry you do get used to the shopping. Funnily enough the first time I went I just wanted Soreen which admittedly I love but never thought that it would be my first choice! I've been shopping a few times now and I just tell myself how easy life is for me that I don't have to think about what to eat.... and then fill my trolley with loads of water, at least one book and a cd! Now that doesn't lower the shopping bill.

I have noticed though that I have cash in my purse for a lot longer as I don't have anything to spend it on .... tend to just keep giving it away in bus fares to the kids as apart from going to Asda/Tesco for food I'm not really going in any shops.

I'm glad that CD is going well for you :)

Cath
x