Wednesday 15 August 2007

Put on a 1/2lb

Ok, I did say the other day that I'd be upset if I put on but, actually, I'm not worried about this tiny gain. I knew I definitely wouldn't lose. At my guess of 59 Syns for the 'fatty meal' and then 3 celebratory meals out, it's a wonder it was only 1/2lb. So I'm happy.

I'm not sure how well I'll do the next couple of weeks. I won't be going for weigh-in next Tuesday as we're off to Dublin on Monday to stay with friends for a few days. I shall continue with my 'conscious' eating and shall try to stick to the programme as much as I can but as we're staying at someone's house I don't want to make it awkward for her on the cooking front. Carmel has seen me do Slimming World before so she'll understand if I pick and choose with the food. It'll probably be easier when we eat out because I’ll have more choices to make. I would still like to lose at least 2lbs during the next 2 weeks: that 11stone something is still being elusive…….

Lizzie and I popped into work today to open a new account with her birthday money. She's had an account in the past but that was in my name for her, but she's now going to get her own cashcard, so she feels quite grown up. There you go, another step into independence - I'm getting redundant!

I’m off to the hospital this afternoon for the results of my ultrasound last Thursday. I’m quite nervous about it. I don’t know why really. It’s just that the medication I’ve been given doesn’t appear to be working and I’m not sure what else they can do. The blood test last week showed that my liver reading was a high (?) and that’s the reason the Consultant wanted to do the gall bladder function test. The only other reason the reading would be high would be through indulging in too much alcohol (which I don’t), so I’m not sure what the result will be. Well, only another hour until I find out.

....I found out.

Dr Ashraf recommends surgery. To remove the gall bladder and adhesions (of which my abdomen and bowel area are riddled with - mainly because of earlier gynae problems). I have another appointment tomorrow evening to see the surgeon. Blimey! - Quick, or what? John's coming with me this time as I need another ear and another brain to make the decision on whether to go ahead or not. I thought I'd finished with surgery, but it just goes to show what can happen when you have 'the three f's' - female, fat and forty, or in my case 'over forty'. I know I was classed as obese at 14stone 11lb and 5'5" in February, but I could have been a lot heavier. It just goes to show what can happen to your health when control of your weight gets out of hand. I will admit that Dr Ashraf hasn't actually blamed my weight as a contributory factor,bt of course I'm a lot lighter now. But I blame it and I feel rather ashamed that things have gone so far.

I'll update again once I see the doctor tomorrow. A great thing to have on my mind on holiday next week.....

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Dear Chris

Mega hugs for the medical stuff. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

DON'T feel ashamed - we know where that all leads - a big fat nowhere!

Is it worth asking the doctor if there are dietary things that you can do given all your hard work and the problems you uncovered?

I am glad you sound so chipper about your WI this week. Maybe, for you, eating consciously really is the answer (as it is for all of us, ultimately)?

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Love Mrs Lxxxx

Lesley said...

Hey Chris

((((((((big hug))))))))

Sorry to hear about you maybe needing an op. I hope it sorts it out for you as you seem to have a lot of medical stuff to contend with.

Don't be ashamed about your former weight - you don't know that it was a factor and anyway, you've addressed it and that's life. Not worth shame!

Nice to hear about Lizzie, I wouldn't bank on the fact that you're redundant though - what about the Bank of Mum and Dad!!?

Have a great time in Dublin - I love it there - have a sniff of John's Guinness for me (too many calories....sigh...)

Slainte

Lesley x