Saturday 4 August 2007

Comments noted!

I take on board what you say, Mrs & Lesley. I was a little worried about Lizzie 'going on diet' and wrestled with myself about talking to her about it. But, she's not happy being her weight. She's fine most of the time but when it comes to buying clothes is when we have problems (don't WE all know that feeling!). You should have seen the look on her face the other day when we bought the skirt and I managed to get it on. It's a size 14, and I said to her that if she didn't want to wear it after the wedding then maybe it would fit me. 'Try it on Mummy.' she said. And when I put it on and it did up easily and then I slipped on the size 10 top we'd bought to go with it (only a £5 boat neck t-shirt from M&S - and definitely not the size I should have been wearing, I hasten to add)I must say she looked rather stricken. I could almost see the 'I'm big' thought going through her head.

She doesn't get out of breathe and she has loads of energy - I only wish I could do the warm-up she does in karate! It's crippling! So she is healthy. I even spoke to her PE teacher at school at the parent/teacher meeting and she was pleased with Lizzie's progress. There are definitley no issues there.

Anyway, we're looking at Slimming World for her as more of a healthy eating programme rather than a diet plan. I'm using it as a way of educating her; to the benefits of fresh over processed; foods that may be eaten freely over those that have Syns and must be limited; the importance of Healthy Extras foe calcium and fibre. She's really taking on board the mentality needed to succeed and she's, basically, learning. If losing a few pounds comes as a side issue, all well and good.

Lizzie knows that she's loved (not always liked..lol) and I shall keep a very close eye on her.

4 comments:

Claire Elliott said...

Hi Chris

Good to hear you sounding so positive, I loved slimming world when I did it for the flexibility. I read on a forum that it can take you body up to 28 days to adjust to a new eating regime so your body must be working hard to get used to the new plan, I think!! Anyway, great to catch up on the blog, thanks as ever for your support

Claire :o)

Lesley said...

I didn't mean any criticism Chris - hope you know that - just sympathised as one who has been there. I was never slim as a child; always just a little bit bigger than my peers but always fit and active too. I think if she can learn the good stuff early there's a better chance of it sinking in and becoming her for life.

Good luck to both of you with it.

Lesley x

chrismars said...

That's just what I thought, Lesley, and I didn't feel you were critising.

Chris

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

I think Lizzie doing SW will be fine as long as, like you say use it as an educate to healthy eating process rather than a crash diet.

It will be a nice support for you both too, doing the programme together.

Mel x