Thursday 14 June 2007

Hospital - never again

I went into hospital yesterday and had the procedures. So much for not feeling anything!!! Both the consultant and my husband (who famously had a colonoscopy carried out by the same consultant) told me I would have heavy sedation, would probably fall asleep and would neither feel nor remember anything. Heh! I knew everything that was going on. The gastroscopy wasn't too bad but when he came to do the colonscopy, I admit, I cried (not balled, but I did try to stop him doing it and the nurse had to hold my hand away) and they had to give me an extra dose of pethidin.

Anyway, the consultant came round to see me a while later with good news. The colonscopy showed no disease or problems of any kind, but he did find that I had a hiatus hernia. Not knowing exactly what it was I looked it up when I came home and fond that it happens when a piece of the stomach pokes out through the hiatus, an opening in the diaphragm normally occupied by the oesophagus. Often symptonless but sometimes leading to acid reflux. I did suffer from acid reflux some years ago (prior to being really overweight) but haven't had any problems with this for a very long time. Apparently, though, hiatus hernias are more common in obese people - so there you go!! That's cheered me up no end. I have an 'obese' medical condition!

I still have to go back to the hospital next Friday for a pelvic scan and then back to see Dr Ashraf and hopefully I can come away with a further explanation fpr the inflammation and pain. I still think it's down to the scar tissue and adhesions from the endometriosis and surgeries; and also probably a food intolerance.

I had vegetables with a chicken casserole and brown rice last night and got up this morning in pain. Answers?? Today, I've restarted the Slimfast and shall be cooking a chilli and rice for dinner this evening, so I bet I don't have any pain tomorrow.

I got on the scales on Tuesday morning ( I forgot on Monday) and was upset to see that I'd put on again. I'd gone up to 12stone 5 and a quarter, or 3quarters, i'm not sure (can't see that small without my specs!) - but then I thought, well I've been eating nothing but bread and chips and no salad or veg for the last 3 or 4 days, so no wonder. Anyway, I reweighed again this morning and I'm down to 12stone 2 lbs. Oh, happy days! But come on you 11s!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh Chris, that must've been a dreadful experience at the hospital, I hope you're feeling better now.

Good luck for tomorrow, hope they don't poke about with you too much, sounds like you've had more than your fair share just for now.

And take no notice of the docs labelling something being common with obese persons, I was 22 and told my Gallstones were probably due to being obese, and yet I was slim until aged 19, and they supposedly take a long time to build up, but doctors won't have it.

They're always quick to label people and explain things with the most obvious, instead of taking into account the more likely reason of endometriosis and IVF.

Take care, look after yourself, good luck with the slimfast (hope no reactions).

Mel x

Mrs said...

Big hugs, Chris.

Really felt for you with all that poking around BUT at least you now know what's going on. Trying to see a positive for you after all that pain.

Maybe, right now, you need to make your health the top priority rather than the weight. Of course, both are linked but I just wonder if all this pain is dragging you down in more ways than one?

Not sure if I mentioned acupuncture for pain management? Is it something you might consider?

You deserve lots of TLC and I am glad John was there to hold your hand. You poor thing.

Hope you are going to take it easy this weekend.

With love.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxx

chrismars said...

Thanks, Mel and mrs. I'm fine now and at least the cause of the pain I've been in can probably be explained away as the hiatus hernia. I'm due to go back for a pelvic scan next Friday as well.

I haven't thought of acupuncture - I don't think I could stand the needles (no matter how small).

The consultant hasn't actually said the reason was obesity (I didn't mean to imply that), it was just what I read on the internet.

SoonBeSlim... It's True! said...

Ok, think I have caught up, and you have been busy!

Hope you are less sore and it seems you are getting closer to some answers. Hope you have less procedures left to go.

Was just about to package up for you a selection of Slimfasts I have in the cupboard which I failed in a misarable way on the way to finding LL ...... but can see they affect your eyes too.

Hvae you tried the Food Doctor/Dr Ian Marber as a way forward to get into the 11's. It tends to concentrate on good quality healthy food and maintains your blood sugar throughout the day. I did loose weight, I just eventually got boored and wanted to eat whenever/whatever I wanted and be slim!!!!!!

Take Care

Sam xxx

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment, I think it is due to people being on holiday and enjoying what odd bit of nice weather when we get it, by no means will I stop blogging, and I hope others don't too. Once I'm back from my hols, and a bit less stressed out at work I'll be fine.

I just feel like someone has hit the fast forward button and I can't keep up.

I'll be fine after my two weeks in Spain! Can't wait till Monday, only six more sleeps.

Hope you are well.

Mel x

Melanie said...

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know I didn't get the job, I'll do a proper post later. It's all got a bit iffy at work, I've had a moan and stuff, will update later.

Take care,

Mel x