Tuesday 26 June 2007

End of an era

We've just got in from having a goodbye drink with Stella, our neighbour next-door. She's moving, after having lived here since 3 weeks after Elizabeth was born. Feeling rather sad! But, she's moving to Cyprus soon and we'll be invited there for holidays with her and the dogs (2 border collies). I hope we don't lose contact.

I haven't been to work today as I've been to a funeral. Do you remember Pat who's funeral I went to a few weeks back? Well it was Ted's funeral today - her husband. He lasted 7 weeks from when she went. That's love for you. They'd been married for 56 years and he just didn't want to go on without her, so he didn't. He was a lovely man, a gentleman, in the true sense of the word. Death can sometimes be said to be a good thing, and I honestly think it was in this case. They're together again now.

Ted was found dead at home so there had to be a post-mortem and I only found out at Church on Sunday that the funeral was today. So I phoned the office yesterday and left a message to say I wouldn't be in (remember, I'm only covering - I don't actually work there). The manager phoned me back, gave me the third degree and even moaned about the fact that my mobile was turned off and that she'd had to get me on my home phone!?! Honestly, I've had enough. I don't need to work. I like the company, but I really don't know whether it's worth it. Anyway, I'm in tomorrow but I'm leaving at 2pm as I've got an appointment at the hospital to discuss the results of the procedures I've had recently.

I shall let you know how I get on.

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Hi Chris

Have just caught up; time is flying by. How did you get on? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the consultation was a positive one??

Sad news about Ted's funeral and about your neighbour moving; these things would make me eat. How are you doing on that front?

You seem more chilled about work - it's good to remember that you DON'T need to do it. Maybe once your health issues are sorted, you can think about what you would like to do - you clearly have many skills that are being undervalued!!

Anyway, thinking of you. Keep us posted.

Mrs L xxxxxxxxx

. said...

Sad news about Ted, poor man must have had a broken heart :( Least they will be together again.

Will be strange having new neighbours, hope you do keep in touch with Stella - and that you get to see her in Cyprus.

Work - hassle hassle hassle -- it's all stress isn't it. You're right to keep it in perspective that you don't need to do it, if it gets too bad do yourself a favour and get out - life is too short for all the hassle.

Hope your hospital appointment went well - am looking forward to hearing some good news.

(((hugs)))

Cath
x