Sunday 29 July 2007

Change to the diet plan

Hi everyone. I've been reading everyone else's blogs and commented on them but haven't felt able to write anything on mine recently. I think, mrs, that may have been in a way due to the large e-mail tomes we've exchanged lately - and I was 'written out'. Also, mrs, I'm quite behind with yours. You write so much that if I miss a few days there's a lot to go over. I shall be catching up again soon but that explains why there haven't been any comments from me lately.

I notice a lot of comments on Lesley and Mrs blogs from others who I don't actually comment on (eg. peridot, guinea, in search of me, cerulean - probably a few others I haven't put down here...sorry if I left you out). If you look in here, 'Hello'. I do occasionally look into your blogs, but it takes so long to read everyone's and to comment that I have kept to a just a few - those right from the beginning of our journeys. I shall try to comment a little more on others - so if you see an unfamiliar post.....

So, back to the diet. Or the new diet. I have been trying to go it alone since my unsuccessful brush with LighterLife, Cambridge, and even Slimfast. I was doing well for a time, but as we all know, it's not easy, and I didn't always have the incentive to keep going. I had stopped weighing myself as the scales 'fear' was back with a vengeance and when I eventually got on them it was often to find that I'd put on a few pounds. I just can't seem to get down to the 11s (stones, that is). I thought I'd try to get into ketosis with a vey low carb plan, then I thought I'd try low GI, then it was Ian Marber's Food Doctor, but what with working and just the daily routine of life, I found the whole process of organising menu plans too daunting. The whole diet lark was getting too airy-fairy for me to commit to any particular plan I couldn't work out the best route to take. That's whi I liked LighterLife. It's so black and white. There are no decisions to be made. You eat the shakes or soups and you drink the water. That's it! Nothing more to it. And when you get firmly into abstinence and ketosis the hunger pangs are kept at bay. It's so much harder when you have to plan and organise; and with my mindset I didn't really know whether I was coming or going.

This is where Slimming World comes into the equation. I first did it 9 years ago, and it worked! I went from 12st 4lbs to 10st 12lbs and Dad told me off for getting too skinny! Can you imagine it! I've been up to 14st 11lbs now, I know what it feels like, physically, emotionally, and aesthetically to be so overweight. I don't want to go there again. I've tried to diet on my own, but I need to be accountable. I need to have 'consequences' if I don't do too well one week. I don't like all the 'happy clappy' of Slimming World, but I'm willing to put up with it to reach my goal. So, off I trotted to the Methodist Hall last Tuesday and weighed in at 12st 9lbs (less 2lbs when I weighed at home), that's a few pounds gain on my lowest over the last couple of months, so it needs doing! Straight onto the plan on Wednesday. I know how it works, I just need the support to make it work.

Wish me luck....please. I will get there. Good so far, other than an ice cream out at lunch today. But it will not deter me. I'm back to drinking the water again as a help.I'm on course again!!!!!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Chris. great to have you back and with a plan.

I've got a lot of time for SW in general just found that I personnally could NOT make myself start again hence turning to LL.

The only thing I would say is, try not to get sucked into the large portion world. You know that eating because it's free and you can rather than eating what you want/need. I think that is one of the reasons why it's hard to keep the weight off after SW. So, take all the other lessons you've learned so well and use SW for what it is - a tool to get the final stone or 2 off!

All power to you.

Thanks for your last comment - it helps put things in perspective having an "eater" on board!!! LOL!

(((((((big hug))))))))

Lesley x

Mrs said...

Hi Chris

As Lesley says, great to have you back. Sorry I haven't replied to your email yet - so much to say (no change there!) - but just so you know, I still check here everyday!!

I wish you every success with Slimming World; funnily enough, it's the one diet I haven't tried but my friend, Mrs Jupiter, rated it SOOO highly and it was the one that worked for her.

At the end of the day, we're all trying to get to the same place - control in the world of food, which is what I guess Lesley meant with our old friend, portion control!

You may want to join minimins because they have different areas for different diets. We will be here, cheering you on but I won't know the details of the diet - so may not be as helpful.

For someone who has worked so hard at finding the right diet, I hope that you have the success you so very much deserve.

I will be fascinated to read about your progress so please paint a picture for us - with words!!!

Sorry I write so much; I just can't help myself. Well, i can but...you know what I mean!

Big kiss.

Mrs L xxxxxxxxx

Guinea said...

chrismars said: 'Helo'

Hello! Good luck with SW.