Tuesday 4 September 2007

Back from Hols......

We had a lovely time in Dublin. It's great when you can catch up with friends and you don't feel as though you've really been apart and can just slot back into the relationship you used to have. Our friends moved over to Ireland 4 years ago (she's Irish, he isn't) and even though Carmel came and stayed with us for a few days last year we hadn't seen Dave since they moved. And Elizabeth got on so well with the girls that we hardly saw them, they were out wandering most of the time (not a thing I would allow her to do here in London!). We did the open-top bus tour of the City - just like real tourists, but didn't 'do' the Guinness factory as we didn't think the girls would like it too much (so next time!). On the Wednesday evening I phoned home to speak to Mum and she said the weather had been cold, windy and extremely wet all day - I really hated to tell her that we had been sitting on a beach in the sun and that, unfortunately, I'd got rather burnt (stupid, I know). It seems as though we took the sun with us to the Emerald Isle.

We really didn't want to come home, and Jane, who's the same age as Liz, wanted us to miss our plane. Sweet!

But back home we came. We walked through the door at 8.30 in the evening, Mum started talking, and she didn't stop until we went to bed!!!!!!! I tell you, for a woman in her late 70's she has much more energy than me!

On Bank Holiday Monday we went to Colchester to visit Bridget and Colin, other friends who moved away about 3 years ago. I know they're only 50 miles away but it's not easy to keep up with people when we don't have many free weekends. Also when I was doing LighterLife and Cambridge earlier this year, I must admit, I became a bit of a recluse. I didn't want to go visting, or have anyone over, as I thought it would be too difficult what with not eating. And then of course, there were the eyes! And the illnesses!! But another successful visit and one we won't leave for another year. Bridget did't mention my weightloss and I had to say something to her in the end (flipping heck!). Her reply was that, yes, I had said that I'd lost weight, but to her, I looked the same as she had always known me (you see, she hadn't seen me at my largest).

I haven't been on here for a while as I haven't actually been using the computer much since we've been home. John has only been back at week for a few days and then there was getting Liz back to school followed on by the 'relief' of being at home alone again, so I've been catching up on other things!!! I've tried to catch up with what's been going on with everyone else, but there has been so much to read (Mrs!!!!) that in the end I had to give up. So, if anything momentous has happened to anyone, please let me know on here.

I'm off to hospital this morning for the gall bladder removal. I've had a few more painful episodes with it so I'll be glad when it's gone - although I'm dreading the operation later today.

I was reading a BUPA factsheet on the Internet about the symptoms of gallstones and it said that the onset can be caused by rapid weightloss......!!!!!?????!!!!!

Well, I'm off now. I hope everyone is doing well. I shall be home in a few days and I'll try to catch up. Don't forget though - if there's anything I've missed.....

6 comments:

Lesley said...

Aaaah Bejaysus! Glad you had such a good time in Ireland - I always love it when I'm over with the inlaws. In fact we're got another trip booked for October and I can't wait! I reckon they'll really notice my weightloos (unlike your myopic friend!!) given that it's nearly 9 stone and they haven't seen me since Christmas...

Good luck for the op Chris - I'mthinking of you and really hoping that sorts you out as you've been having such trials with your health ever since I've "known" you. You'll be grand, as they say in the Emerald Isle...

((((((((gentle hug)))))))))

Lesley xx

Mrs said...

Hi Chris

How was the op'? How are you? Really hope the hospital stay really was hotel-like and you were able to relax.

You sound very upbeat after your travels!!

Thinking of you and glad you back in cyberspace - well, sort of.

Big kiss and hugs for patient!

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxx

Mrs said...

How's the patient???

Big kiss.

Mrs Lard xxxxxxxxx

Mrs said...

Hope you are making a speedy recovery.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lesley said...

How's the patient? Hope the op went well and your recovery is speedy.

Thinking of you.

Lesley x

Mrs said...

Chris

You are silent. Really hope you are ok.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxx